Made by Sönke Kahl
For 4 servings
Preserved lemons and green olives are two main ingredients of traditional Moroccan cuisine. The tagine can be cooked with chicken legs or with a whole chicken.
- 8-10 pieces of chicken legs portioned into smaller pieces
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large piece of butter
- 2 preserved lemons, cut into strips
- 175 g green olives
- 1-2 tsp dried thyme
For the marinade
- 1 onion grated
- 3 garlic cloves crushed
- 25 g fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 1/2 bunch of fresh coriander, finely chopped
- 1 pinch of saffron threads
- freshly squeezed juice from a lemon
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 3-4 tbsp olive oil
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Mix the marinade slices in a bowl. Cover the chicken legs with the mariande and rub them well into the meat. Put it in the fridge for about 1-2 hours.
Heat the olive oil and butter in a tajine or casserole with a thick base and fry the meat pieces in it. Pour the rest of the marinade over and fill with water until the meat is half covered. Bring the water to the boil, reduce the heat and cover and simmer gently for 45 minutes. Occasionally turn the chicken legs.
Add the pickled lemon, olives and half of the thyme. Cover and cook for another 15-20 minutes. Season to taste, season if necessary and sprinkle the remaining thymina over it. Serve immediately from the dish.
Couscous and salad or vegetables are suitable as side dishes.
Ready to serve, enjoy!